Aquamarine is a blue-green stone that comes from Colombia and Brazil. It has been called "Water of the Sea", because of its color. The aquamarine is the stone of sailors, believing it would be protection for them on water. Folklore says the aquamarine will protect against gossip.
If you were born between March 21 - April 20, your astrological sign is Aries. "The ram" is the Latin translation. Aries likes to lead and a good challenge. Aries goes through life with confidence and a enthusiastic outlook on everything. They can lack patience and often don't finish what they start. Pisces are born from February 19 to March 20.
Aquamarine is most powerful as a meditation stone, as it brings a great peace and serenity. This is the stone to help you be in touch with your spiritual being. This stone is used in deep meditations.
Healing properties of Aquamarine:
- Aquamarine is often associated with the thymus gland*.
- It is very soothing worn as a necklace.
- Healers use it to help reduce fluid retention.
- It has been used to calm the nerves.
The Romans used the aquamarine for diseases of the stomach, and believed it could cure liver and throat troubles.
Hand Painted Starfish - Beach Decor
It is believed Aquamarine has these special properties:
- To bring love, affection and harmony to the wearer.
- To bring happiness for those whose job is related to the sea.
- If used by sailors the gemstones would guide them against evil spirits, help them overcome any storm and bring safety on their journeys.
- Helps people to quell anger and provides emotional balance.
- To purify water and grant it special healing powers.
Aquamarine is a variety of beryl, (beryl means bluish-green color in Greek) which is in the same gemstone family as emerald and morganite. Though aquamarine and emerald belong to the same family, they are different. They are both beryllium aluminum silicates. Emerald is colored by trace amounts of chromium and and/or vanadium, aquamarine is colored by iron. Even though emerald and beryl have essentially the same specific gravity and refractive index, emerald tends to be hazy and included, while aquamarine typically has excellent transparency and clarity.
When buying aquamarine, be careful not to confuse it with blue topaz which is a far less valuable mineral (topaz and beryl are two different minerals).
*The thymus gland is an organ in the upper chest cavity that processes lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell that fights infections in the body. It is located directly just below the throat, behind the sternum.
Written by Linda Blatchford