What are Tags?
Tagging on Etsy and many websites is a way to attach keywords to your listing. The tags are mainly used for the internal search engine of each site. Meaning your tags are for people using Etsy's search engine, not Google or other search engines. Although it is said the top few tags can pop up on external search engines such as Google. TAGS are important in your listings but also in your treasuries.
Determining the Tags to Use
The key to making your tags work for your shop are you have to know what customers are looking for. What will a target customer type into a search to find your item?
This is very challenging to figure out. But here is a HUGE trick:
Go to the Etsy homepage and use their search bar. Start typing in a word for one of your products. If you sell pearl jewelry you may want to just start typing pearl, as you type a few letters you will notice Etsy starts to finish the word and add words for you. These fill in words are based upon the most recent searches performed on Etsy. If recently people were searching rose pearl jewelry, as you type in pearl you will see rose pearl jewelry pop up. This tells you what people are searching for, and if you can apply those words to your listing you should!
Making the Most of Your Tags
1. Use ALL 13 slots for your tags. 13 tags gives each listing 13 ways to be found, plus your keywords in your title help too! So every keyword is precious!
2. Use your shop name for a few tags throughout your shop. This way if someone is searching for your shop they will find you.
3. New Etsy Relevancy searches means you want to reinforce your keywords from your title. So the 1st few words of your title should be the MOST important keywords. Those keywords SHOULD be repeated in the 1st few tags of your listing.
4. Vary your tags from listing to listing for maximum exposure. Even if you have 20 cards in your shop, try to vary the tags in each listing. This way you can cover 100's of possible searches.
5. Make sure you use colors for your tags. Color searches are very popular for several reasons. One is customers are looking for trends, especially for special occasions. But another reason is to help with treasury exposure. Here are some great resources to help you come up with shades of each color:
Pantone sets many trends for colors:
6. Lastly check out this blog on Etsy for wonderful ideas on what to use for your tags. We all have trouble figuring out 13 words to fill all the spots. So this will help when you are stuck.
You have to be visible and help your customers find your product. This can be time consuming to do but worth the effort.